Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Writing your back-cover blurb.

I’ll be honest, this is not a subject the vast majority of my imaginary readers are going to have to worry about for quite some time. But if you opt to follow in my self-published footsteps, it’s something you’ll need to work on.

As I prepare to release the fourth volume in my Course Books series, all the pieces are coming together. Got the proof-reading much of the way down, got my cover all picked out(and it looks very thought-provoking), and now I am down to the most difficult part: the back-cover blurb.

Let’s go ahead and establish a few things. this particular piece is called “copy”, which is advertising slang for written material meant to encourage consumers to buy stuff. I bet you didn’t know that, huh?

Well, it’s a little harder than it sounds. I’ve managed to do ok so far but it is always a struggle. Well, The Inclination to Destiny will be here soon enough, and you’ll get to enjoy the stories.

For now, here’s the copy I’ve slaved over:

The strong and courageous can define their own destiny, but fate falls on men unless they act. You can control your own course, but some events, once set into motion, cannot be stopped.

As time marches inexorably forward, the ghosts of the past begin to howl louder than ever. Mistakes, left turns that should have been right, and the sanctions of lesser men all come together in a perfect storm of circumstances.

It’s not fate, fate can be cheated, and destiny forged. But events will come to pass, as certain as the sunset. What happens then? Brave heroes will stand and fight, but the uncertain future, the unstable past, and the certain march of time will lead all things along The Inclination to Destiny.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Drop a Line